Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Senior Estimator for our Midwest region. We combine more than 70 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
This position will provide detailed conceptual estimates from pre-construction schematic and design documents and\/or detailed estimates from construction plans and specifications for large, diverse, and complex projects. Provide functional expertise and regional estimating team leadership.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities of the role include:
- Prepare bids, conceptual cost models, and budgets; perform quantitative analyses of construction documents and project program requirements.
- Lead and oversee the preparation of accurate conceptual cost models, budgets, and guaranteed maximum pricing based on historic cost data and\/or subcontractor input as appropriate.
- Review plans, specs, and pricing. Secure pricing from material suppliers and subcontractors. Define take-offs for all scopes of work and complete pricing. Define and assemble accurate General Conditions\/General Requirements costs.
- Gather and monitor actual cost versus estimated cost, maintaining project cost history. Organize historical project costs and utilize costs to produce conceptual estimates.
- Establish work scopes for subcontractors and suppliers.
- Prepare documents for bid day, owner bid docs, insurance\/bonding, etc.
- Lead and oversee the preparation of backup documentation.
- Provide consultative guidance on constructability, schedule, phasing, and staffing.
- Understand, analyze, and consult the owner’s proforma process and documents RFP, and\/or contract requirements.
- Analyze project program, design, costs, and subcontractor input and provide comparisons, cost savings, value engineering options, and other recommendations.
- Ensure that are budgets and bids are created using company templates, parameters, and established protocols.
- Make recommendations to the buyout and the selection of subcontractors and material suppliers upon notice of award.
- Build and manage subcontractor relationships; facilitate bids and presentations.
- Prepare and present persuasive presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Define major or priority subcontractors. Monitor coverage and solicit new subcontractors while continuously working to improve relationships.
- Partner to develop appropriate subcontractor scopes of work and to determine subcontractor pricing, including information dissemination, review of subcontractor’s proposals, and coordination with the desired scope of work.
- Build and facilitate collaborative team processes among project participants (i.e. contractor, owner\/developer, design professionals and subcontractors).
- Foster a productive working atmosphere among project participants, and cultivate AP’s relationship with the Client.
- Discuss and establish bid\/budget estimate pricing strategies, concerns, and advantages with project teams. Correspond with architects and engineers.
- Suggest and participate in procedure and policy changes as well as QC\/QA plan.
- Lead bid project closings.
- Network within the market to learn client business models and establish credibility.
- Coach and mentor fellow AP team members.
- History of progressively more experience and proven results including:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, or related field and 6 - 8 years of experience in pre-construction and estimating with projects >$30 million.
- Additional certifications such as DBIA and LEED AP are preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the construction field, building systems, subcontractor specialties, regulatory compliance, and technology.
- Strong office computer skills, including thorough knowledge of Word, Excel, Microsoft Project, On Center, P6, and Timberline software. MC2 experience preferred.
- Ability to travel to client and project sites as required.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards are paramount.
- Highly developed skills (listening, influence management, consensus development) paired with outstanding presentation skills. Ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful and lasting relationships.
- Strong analytical and logic skills with the ability to maintain a high degree of precision on detailed work.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities; high energy and demonstrated sense of urgency.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Location/Region: Minneapolis, MN