Mortensons success is not a matter of luck; its a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a \"best place to work\" 38 times regionally over the past decade\u2026
\u2026What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson is currently seeking a Lead Engineer Substation Protection and Control in our Minneapolis, MN Headquarters office.
The Lead Engineer will be responsible for technical direction of the protection and control engineering aspects of substation projects including detailed design for high voltage projects through 500 kV. Functions as a technical specialist who develops and applies advanced engineering concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems, with supervisory responsibility.
- Technical responsibility for direction, interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordination of team member assignments by working closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design packages.
- Responsible for the technical design of substation protection systems involving equipment layouts, relay protection, control and SCADA engineering aspects on substation and transmission design projects and their associated studies.
- Performs duties in the areas of P&C design, SCADA programming, Network design (LAN/WAN), Testing & Commissioning (Integration, field SCADA, Trouble shooting), Field Network integration, and relay setting review.
- Responsible for the creation and review of material and equipment specifications
- Lead project teams that execute the design, analysis, or evaluation of assigned individual and team projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements.
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines and Design Phase Managers to successfully deliver design projects.
- Provide technical leadership to personnel/cross functional teams supporting the assigned project.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises the work of a staff of engineering professionals and technicians.
- Coaches, mentors and guides other Engineering Professionals.
- Implement plans to meet technical requirements of assigned components and systems.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and Mortenson QA/QC procedures.
- Performs data analysis and engineering tasks, calculations and studies to develop preliminary and detailed designs for completion of large and small projects.
- Developing technical specifications, providing direction and guidance to drafters and designers, directing the flow of drafting and designer duties, insuring design schedules are met, including regularly providing project status updates to project engineer.
- Responsible for handling multiple projects and providing a detailed design package that complies with applicable engineering design standards and all safety codes.
- Skilled in engineering theories and principles
- Skilled in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Extensive knowledge in substation layouts, configurations and equipment utilization design for systems ranging from 34.5 kV to 500kV
- Have working knowledge of or are familiar with software packages: ASPEN, ETAP, IEC 61131-3, SEL & GE & Basler platforms, etc.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license is required with the ability to act as an Engineer of Record (EOR)
- Minimum ten (10) years related work experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in the T&D industry
- Travel up to 50% of the time.
- Graduate of four-year college or university with Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE preferred) or related Engineering program. Strongly preferred the degree is from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Location/Region: Minneapolis, MN